Wednesday 21 August 2013

Social Media and Cycling

I am not a huge fan of social media.  I do enjoy seeing what others are up to via Facebook and Twitter but I an not much of a "poster" on either of these sites.  There is one social media site that I am a big fan of and it is called Strava.  Strava is a social media site for athletes, specifically cyclist and runners.  Strava allows the athlete to go for a workout either with a GPS enabled computer like the Garmin Edge 500 or a by using a free app on your GPS smartphone and then share their workout data with their friends when they are done.  
This ability to see others rides is a great motivational tool to get me out on the bike.  I get a daily email from Strava telling which of my friends have been out riding and how they performed.  The site allows me to compare my performance to that of my friends on sections of the ride called "segments".  For each segment there is a leader board of names of everyone who has ridden that particular section of road.  From the leader board you can see where you fit it as far as your speed and fitness go.  If you are the fastest rider in a segment you get the coveted "KOM" title, standing for King of the Mountain.

Below is a YouTube video explaining strava.



No comments:

Post a Comment